Monday, September 22, 2008

'Cross Blog

I had fun with my blog of our trip to France this July, so I'd thought about doing a blog for the cyclocross season as well. I often get asked by friends and family what exactly is cyclocross. Wikipedia provides a pretty good overview (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross). I also visit cyclocross world for updates on everything related to 'cross.

I started racing 'cross in 2002 which makes this my 7th year. Back then I did about 3 races. Now there are races every weekend beginning this past weekend through Thanksgiving. One could race both Saturday and Sunday for over 20 races! Consequently, it's the fastest growing racing discipline in the U.S. I think there are a number of reasons for this trend. You can hold races almost anywhere, there are categories for every skill level and age, and it's family/spectator friendly. In Minnesota we use a 3 or 4 race format. I ride in the middle category (cat 3) which is also combined with the master's 45+ and open women's categories in the 3 race format. A full race schedule is available on the Minnesota Cycling Federation website.

I hope to provide race summaries and pics for those interested or just looking to burn some time at work!

No comments: