Paul started the day in the C race. Paul and I pre-rode the course. I quickly realized this was a tough course this year...more than usual. There were back-to-back runups and some other tricky sections. I gave Paul some pointers on gears to use in different sections and the like and go him lined up at the start. The C race is a 30 minute ordeal. We stationed ourself at the top of one of the runups; however, this venue enables you to see most of the course from one vantage point. Paul looked really good on his new Trek XO2 'cross bike. I was really impressed at how well he re-mounted his bicycle at the top of the run-up. This requires you to jump back on your bike after running up a steep hill. It's not an easy feat for any rider and Paul made it look easy. Paul's race lasted around 4 laps and he finished a strong 3rd in the Junior 10-14 age group. A great start to the season indeed. He even took home some hardware and found a place on the podium. Way to represent the Velo Rochester team!
My race followed Paul's. Not much to say here. As always the race started out fast. There was a crash mid-way that split the group up a bit. I did a couple laps with my usual companions from years past. I fell off the pace a bit with 3 or 4 to go and wanted to slash my own tires to end the pain and suffering. No matter how I train, I never seem to be prepared for that first race. It's difficult to simulate the suffering. I was happy to see the last lap sign and finished mid-pack. It was a great course albeit one of the hardest we'll do all year.
It was a quiet drive home as everyone was tuckered out from a long day of 'cross. It was great to catch up with all the familiar faces. Looking forward to another fun year.
No comments:
Post a Comment